The most common questions we are asked

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of a Tax ID Number?

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN. Employer identification numbers are issued for the purpose of tax administration and are not intended for participation in any other activities (e.g., tax lien auction or sales, lotteries, etc.)

What If my new entity has an EIN previously obtained online?

We cannot process your application online if the entity you are applying for has an EIN previously obtained through the internet.

Do I need an EIN?

If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you need an EIN Number:

  • Do you have employees?
  • Do you operate your business as a corporation or partnership?
  • Do you file any of these tax returns: Employment, Excise, or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms?
  • Do you withhold taxes on income, other than wages, paid to a non-resident alien?
  • Do you have a Keogh plan?
  • Are you involved with any of the following types of organizations?
  • Trusts, except certain grantor-owned revocable trusts, IRAs, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Returns
  • Estates
  • Real estate mortgage investment conduits
  • Non-profit organizations
  • Farmers' cooperatives
  • Plan administrators through the internet.

Do I need a NEW Tax ID Number?

Generally, businesses need a new EIN when their ownership or structure has changed. Although changing the name of your business does not require you to obtain a new EIN. You will be required to obtain a new Tax ID Number if any of the following statements are true.

Sole Proprietors
  • You are subject to a bankruptcy proceeding.
  • You incorporate your business.
  • You operate as a partnership.
  • You purchase or inherit an existing business that you operate as a sole proprietorship.
  • A corporation receives a new charter from the secretary of state.
  • You are a subsidiary of a corporation using the parent's EIN or you become a subsidiary of a corporation.
  • You change to a partnership or a sole proprietorship.
  • A new corporation is created after a statutory merger.
  • You incorporate.
  • Your partnership is taken over by one of the partners and is operated as a sole proprietorship.
  • You end an old partnership and begin a new one.
Limited Liability Company
  • A new LLC with more than one owner (Multi-member LLC) is formed under state law.
  • A new LLC with one owner (Single Member LLC) is formed under state law and chooses to be taxed as a corporation or an S corporation.
  • A new LLC with one owner (Single Member LLC) is formed under state law, and has an excise tax filing requirement for tax periods beginning on or after January 1, 2008 or an employment tax filing requirement for wages paid on or after January 1, 2009.
  • A trust is created with funds from the estate (not simply a continuation of the estate).
  • You represent an estate that operates a business after the owner's death.
  • One person is the grantor of many trusts.
  • A trust needs to be change to an estate.
  • The Type of trust you applied for needs to be changed.

How long will it take to get my Tax ID Number?

We offer two delivery options a Rush and Standard Delivery. The Rush Delivery allows our skillful agents to file on your behalf to obtain your EIN from the IRS in as little as 60 minutes during business hours. Our Standard Delivery is the same process however, may take up to 1 to 2 business days.

How much do you charge for your service?

Our Standard Delivery option is $257 and our Rush Delivery option is $287.

How can I get in contact with Professional Doc Prep?

You can visit our Contact Us page and complete our form. You can e-mail us direct at or you can call us direct at (800) 426-1229.

What are your hours of operation?

Monday thru Friday 9am-5pm CST. We are closed on all IRS observed holidays and weekends. We still accept new online orders outside of our hours of operation.

Is my personal data secure on your website?

Of course! We take every measure possible to protect our client's sensitive information. Our website uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology, and is GO Trusted. Our client's personal data is priority and take extreme measures to keep this information secure.

What is the difference in a Tax ID Number and an EIN?

A Tax ID Number and an EIN are one in the same. An EIN is an Employer Identification Number. A TIN is a Tax Identification Number. A FEIN is a Federal Employer Identification Number. These are other names referring to a Federal Tax ID.

What is the process to file for a Tax ID Number?

After determining which entity you need, complete our 1-page online application. Once submitted, our agents will begin the process of retrieving your active EIN Number directly from the IRS. Our online application can be filled out and submitted within 5-mins.

Who can use your service?

Anyone needing an EIN for the following:
  • Individuals/Sole Proprietors
  • Limited Liability Companies (LLC)
  • Corporations
  • S-Corporations
  • Partnerships
  • Trusts
  • Estates
  • Non-Profits
  • Other employers and business entity types
The only restrictions are:
  • The primary address must be in the United States.
  • The owner, principal officer, trustor, grantor, etc. must have a valid Taxpayer ID Number (Social Security Number, Individual Taxpayer ID Number, or Federal Tax ID) to enter on the form.